Thursday 26 April 2018

Kinzoku Ebisu - Momijigari (2005)


The second album from this Japanese band.

Kinzoku-Ebisu was a quartet with a lineup of keyboards, samples, guitars, bass, drums and Japanese vocals.

I approached this album with some trepidation after seeing the low score in ProgArchives. That was a score without reviews so I lost my fear after that. .....And I cracked on with the task in hand.

I do not know this band at all. I only know this album. It is my understanding they were neo-prog in the beginning.

On this album, the band has taken a deep dive into dark progressive rock. Anglagard and in particular King Crimson looms large on the eighteen minutes long opening title track. A monumental title track. The cascades of guitars and keyboards is only broken up by some female vocals. There is also some very good pastoral music on this song. A very good song, indeed.

The second song, a five minutes long song, is not that good. The band reverts to neo-prog and prog metal. Not good at all. 

The third and final song, a ten minutes long song, is a stroll along the path set down by Anglagard before some bad heavy metal ends this song. It is a fairly good song.

These three songs takes us up to thirty odd minutes. It is indeed a good album and one of the hidden gems of the prog rock world. It is one of the reasons I do this blog. Check out this album.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment