Sunday 20 December 2020

Anathema - The Silent Enigma (1995)

The second studio album from this English band.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, guitars and vocals.

Two guest musicians added vocals and spoken words.

I did review their 1993 debut album Serenades for ProgArchives some eleven years ago. I also reviewed their Crestfallen EP for ProgArchives the same year.

It has taken me eleven years to return to Anathema. Those eleven years has been filled with thousands of reviews of more standard prog and fusion albums.

Anathema was a very big band in my world when their debut album Serenades arrived in 1993. It was a revolution, that album. And I loved it. I did not love it that much in 2009 when I did the review for ProgArchives.

The Silent Enigma sees the band trying to break out of the doom/death metal genre and into a much more Pink Floyd like genre. Just as Opeth did later although Opeth embraced the old symphonic prog genre.

The Silent Enigma gives us one hour of a transition between doom death metal and Pink Floyd. There is more doom metal here than anything else and there is some death grunts.

The songs and the pieces of music is still decent enough as this album is not an impressive album. I am now going to review all their album during this winter and spring and I hope I will see a much more progressive rock band on the albums that followed this album.

This album is a decent album, though.

2 points

No comments:

Post a Comment