Sunday 10 February 2019

Farmhouse Odyssey - Farmhouse Odyssey (2015)


The debut album from this US band.

Farmhouse Odyssey was a quintet with a lineup of drums, bass, keyboards, guitars and vocals.

I have to admit I have been struggling a lot with this album (and their second album) since I got it. It was meant to be reviewed years ago. But I kicked it into the long grass until I decided that I had to do it now.

So I did some new listening sessions.

Listed as symphonic prog in ProgArchives, this should be in my ballpark. Classic symphonic prog as I understand it.... well..... it is not.

Take the New York bohemian sound, add a lot of light sprinkling of jazz, some symphonic prog, some college rock and some eclectic prog. Make that.... a lot of eclectic prog. Gentle Giant with an US take, flavour and sound.

The light jazzy bohemian sound and music is what really comes through here. A lot of weird guitars and vocals. A lot of weird, off Greenwich Village hooks and melodies.

Best of all; a lot of good to very good melodies too. Although this is not a great album, I understand those who has labeled Farmhouse Odyssey as the new hope for progressive rock. It is most certainly a progressive rock album.

Check out this album.

3 points

    

No comments:

Post a Comment