Thursday 19 December 2019

Ashqelon Quilt. The - The Event (2001)


The one and only album from this Israeli band.

The band was a trio with a lineup of charango, guitars, grand piano, drum programming, synths, mandolin, darbuka drums and vocals.
The band had some help from guest musicians who provided violin, flute and backing vocals.

This was an album I was really looking forward to review so I saved it up for the festive season... and my well deserved holiday.

And the opening minutes was very promising indeed. Folk rock. That is good enough for me.

.... Then this album takes a bit of a disturbing turn.... Half-acoustic guitars with female vocals and just that. Dull it is and a bit of a challenge to stay awake during the many listening sessions I gave it.

The album turns more towards symphonic prog at the end with a lot of Jethro Tull influences too.

Eclectic prog, it is.

Eclectic, but not that exciting.

There are indeed some good parts here. Nevertheless, a large part of this album is rather unremarkable and decent. Hence my rating.

2.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment