Saturday 11 August 2018

Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra (1972)


The third album from this German band.

The band was a quintet on this album with a lineup of harpsichord, piano, oboe, tambura, piano, guitars and soprano vocals.
An extra musician provided violin here.

I have reviewed their two previous albums and I did not find much value in them. They are electronic krautrock albums and I am by no means any fan of electronic krautrock. So much that I considered dropping reviewing their albums.

I decided to give them a chance when I learnt that they from their third album, this one, had left the electronic krautrock genre behind them.

Hosianna Mantra is not an electronic krautrock album. Neither is it a rock album or in any way associated with rock music.

What we get here is forty minutes of ethereal neo-classical music with oboe, tambura, acoustic guitars, harpsichord and soprano female vocals.

This is a very special album and not the type of music I normally listen too. I cannot remember ever listen to an album like this.

And it has taken me some time to grasp the music on this album. The music is very pedestrian to say at least. Too pedestrian for my liking and I have got my reservations against this album.

I know that I am in a minority when I do not rate this album as a good or a great album. Some parts of this album is good.... but there is other parts that falls a bit flat on it's face. Hence the rating. But check out this album as it is an unique album.

2.5 points

  

No comments:

Post a Comment