Friday 8 March 2019

Spirit - Spirit (1968)


The debut album from this US band.

Spirit was a quintet with a lineup of percussion, drums, guitars, keyboards, bass and vocals.

I got a handful of this legendary band's first albums and intend to explore and review them this year.
I love discovering and exploring new music. I love reviewing these albums here.

I did not what to expect from this album and this band. So I entered this exploration with a totally blank page.

What hits me is the shortness of this album. Barely half an hour but there is some bonus stuffs on the CD versions. My subject is the 1968 original album.

Then the music.... It is The Beatles taking their Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club album to a more psych direction. There is also some classic and pop influences here. Lots of them. Lot's of proto-symphonic prog.

Spirits packs in a lot on this half an hour.... and.... 

...For some of you, Spirit is known as the band who sued Led Zeppelin for copyright infringements on their classic, classic masterpiece Stairways To Heaven. This based on the song Taurus which we can find on this album. So, is there any similarities here ? Yes. Copyright infringements ? I don't think so. But Taurus is a good, good song...

... One of the many good songs here.

I am actually mighty impressed by this album. It is clearly one of the best albums from 1968, the year I was born.

This is a very very elegant album and a very good one too. This is one you should check out.

3.5 points

 

No comments:

Post a Comment