Tuesday 26 March 2019

miRthkon - Snacks (2013)


The second and so far final album from this US band.

The band was a sextet with a lineup of piccolo, saxophones, bass, drums, clarinet, percussion, drums, keyboards, guitars and some vocals.

I have not had the chance to hear their 2009 debut album Vehicle. I can get it but this kind of music is not really the one that catches my imagination.

The music here is RIO/avant-garde. There is a lot of Balkan pop like music here performed by lots of woodwinds and some guitars. Add keyboards too. And the usual bass and drums. Not to mention percussion.

There are some space rock over the music too and their version of the Black Sabbath classic Fairies Wear Boots is space rock meet RIO and chamber rock.

Strangely enough, there are one college rock sounding vocal track here too. A normal pop tune in the B52s vein.

There is no really good songs here with the exception of that Black Sabbath song. There is not much here who catches the imagination of the listener.

This album is therefore a bit of a let down as I had heard a lot of positive things about it. It is also an album that is either love or hate. It splits opinions, I have read from other reviews.

It is a decent to good album in my estimation. I am not won over.

2.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment