Tuesday 6 August 2019

Oregon - Moon And Mind (1979)


The eight album from this band from Oregon, USA.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of dulcimer, percussion, tabla, sitar, piano, drums, oboe, congas, Hammond organ, guitars, bass, bass clarinet and flute.

This band is an interesting band who are still around. Their debut album was released back in 1972.

Oregon is an prog avant-garde jazz band. I think that is the best label I can put on them. I have reviewed two albums of them for # 1 of this blog and will now review, including this one, four more albums from them.... and some more when I get hold of their albums.

Oregon albums is albums well worth keeping an eye open for. This although they are very much on the fringes of my taste in music.

This album is one I have been struggling with.

It opens with some really good raga done by sitar and I am totally with this album. Very hypnotic avant-garde/krautrock raga.
The more acoustic pieces of jazz in the middle of this forty minutes long album is not really something I find appealing.. It is still not bad at all.
The band comes together again as a full band with lots of woodwinds at the end with some good jazz and raga again.

The end result is a good album which should appeal to everyone on the fringes of jazz and avant-garde music. It is not an instant hit album. But give it some time and you will get it.

3 points





No comments:

Post a Comment