Tuesday 5 May 2020

Quintessence - In Blissful Company (1969)


The debut album from this British band.

The band was a sextet with a lineup of bells, flute, guitars, bass, drums, percussion, keyboards and vocals.
Two guest musicians provided tamboura and sitar.

This band was a band who had a good career in the seventies. They released five albums and all of them are up for review this spring in this blog.

The cover art-work says a lot about the music inside. Yes, it is raga-rock.

Raga-rock is not a genre I am most used to. But I quite like this genre and that is what we get with this album and this band.

There is also a lot of psych rock in their music and quite a lot of The Beatles, Byrds and Jefferson Airplane too in their music. This album is not totally raga-rock.

The hare-krishna elements and chants comes in at the end of the album.

The psych rock and beat is pretty good on this forty minutes long album. I have my reservations against the hare-krishna chanting as this is not really music.

Nevertheless, this is a decent to good album and I am looking forward to sink my ears into the four other albums.

2.5 points


No comments:

Post a Comment