Sunday 30 June 2019

Fungus - The Key Of The Garden (2019)


The fourth album from this Italian band.

The band is a quintet with a lineup of keyboards, guitars, bass, drums, synth, flute, trumpet and vocals.
Nik Turner from Hawkwind and another musician adds flute, sax and percussion.

I do not know their three first album. Two of them are a part of a Better Than Jesus trilogy and the band has therefore changed name to Fungus Family.

I gather this band is one of the members of the Italian occult rock scene. A scene I do not find interesting at all so I tend to avoid it. But this one dumped into my inbox and I therefore have to review it.

The music here is a mix of blues, goth rock and psych rock. There is also a hint of RPI throughout this album.

The album starts OK although the vocals are a bit over the top and stretched to the limits. They are also a liability.

After a reasonably promising opening, we get a pretty substandard version of the Pink Floyd standard See Emily Play. That cover is a baffling inclusion on this album. A pretty dark album which is very brooding and gothic. The final tracks are pretty abysmal.

I cannot find any good songs on this album. It is a decent enough album, but nothing more than that.

2 points






No comments:

Post a Comment