Wednesday 15 August 2018

Zhaoze - Intoxicatingly Lost (2015)


The fourth album from this Chinese band.

The band is a quartet with a lineup of glockenspiel, gucin, guitars, bass, drums and keyboards.

I have never heard about this band before I got their two last albums and decided to give them my attention.

I am no fan of China's political elite and one-party state. But I got a lot of time and positive thoughts for their people and culture. So this post-metal/rock band got my approval even before I had heard a single tone from them.

The music is instrumental post-rock with a lot of influences from Chinese classical and folk music. It is actually music which sounds even better with their use of the old Chinese string instrument gucin. A truly great instrument in this setting and music.

The music is floating and not so much harsh as with many post-rock albums. It has no really hard parts, this album. Neither is this an ambient album. The music is really very dynamic without being harsh and disharmonic.

The music is floating like a boat down a Chinese river and the hour in the company with this album is an hour well spent.... or in my case; many hours.

This is indeed a very good album and I am really looking forward to dip my ears into that other album too.

3.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment