Thursday 7 November 2019

East Of Eden - Snafu (1970)


The second album from this British band.

The band is a quintet with a lineup of saxophone, bass, drums, percussion, bagpipes, flute, trumpet, stylophone, electric violin, piano, strings, harmonica, guitars and vocals.
The band were helped out by two guest musicians on tape.

Another album from this band, another classic album art-work and another cult album. I am intrigued and has been that for a long time. It has taken me a while to sink my ears and brain into their albums, though.

I very much liked their debut album. An album with music I did not expect. East Of Eden was indeed one of a kind in the 1970s British music scene. My review can be found somewhere else in this blog.

The band continues on from their 1969 debut album Mercator Projected. That means some gypsy and folk rock mixed up with eclectic prog in the vein of King Crimson and Gentle Giant. Add in some electronica/tape loops too and some avant-garde rock.

Not easy listening in other words and proper out-there.

This is weird music... but it works.

There are some really good melodies here and a lot of good details and ideas. And it is an album I want to listen to again in some years time too. It is a good album and one to check out. It's cult status is deserved.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment