Tuesday 12 February 2019

Amazing Blondel - The Amazing Blondel & A Few Faces (1970)


The debut album from this English band.

The band was a duo on this album with a lineup of strings, woodwinds, guitars, bass, percussion, flutes and vocals.
The duo of Terence Wincott and John Gladwin had help from some other musicians who provided tabla, congas, drums and bass.

I have heard a lot about this band but it is not before now I have decided to give them my attention. I got a handful or more of their ten albums. I will review them this winter and spring.

The band is a folk music or/and a folk rock band on this album. The sound is acoustic and based on harmonies.

The two vocals fills each other and create good vocals and harmonies.

The music is on the more primitive end of the folk rock spectrum. It is leaning towards the first Gryphon albums and more towards the medieval folk music sound. More like chamber music at times.

There are also some more pop-rock tunes here. And some more rather bizarre folk hall songs with lots of trumpets and tubas.

The end result is a promising debut album who still falls a bit short when it comes to quality. I am looking forward to sink my ears into their other albums.

2 points


No comments:

Post a Comment