Monday 12 October 2020

White Willow - Ignis Fatuus (1995)

The debut album from this Norwegian band.

The band was an eight piece big band with a lineup of drums, percussions, bass, woodwinds, strings, mellotron, organ, moog, synths, piano, guitars, pipes, ebow and vocals.

The band was supported by ten guest musicians who provided a vast amount of different instruments.

I knew the mainman here, Jacob Holm, for a short period in 1993-95 when I, Jacob and Trond Gjellum from Panzerpappa lived on the same student dormitory in Oslo. Sogn Studentby, that is. Jacob and Trond ran their own prog rock fanzine back then while I was just sniffing around the prog rock scene. 

Both Jacob and Trond became popular musicians while I became an unpopular death metal record label manager and later dropped out of the music business altogether and emigrated to Scotland.

I have not had the pleasure of listening to any of the White Willow albums yet, 25 years after I should have been listening to and buying this album. I will therefore run through all their albums this fall and review them, album by album.

There is a lot of musicians involved in this album. It is still Jacob Holm's band.

The music is pastoral symphonic prog. Which came as a surprise to me as the album was released on a progressive metal label... Laser's Edge. 

I had not expected that much Norwegian folk rock on this album. The music is really in that vein while still being symphonic. 

The music is good throughout these sixty odd minutes. There is a lot to build on here for the band. I am in no doubts the rest of the album has done just that.

Check out this album.

3 points

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment