Wednesday 3 April 2019

Spirit - The Family That Plays Together (1968)


The second album from this US band.

Spirit was a quintet with a lineup of percussion, drums, bass, guitars, keyboards and vocals.
Two guest musicians provided strings and horns.


Their self-titled debut album is one of the hidden gems in the scene, well in modern music as a whole scene. So I was looking forward to this one too.....

I may be a bit late to the party, but this band is impressing me and they have become this year's find.

This album proves that.

Forty minutes of psych and symphonic beat/pop with lots of things going on.

Quirky melodies, quirky vocals and quirky guitars. This reminds me about The Beatles at their most weird moments. And that around the Sgt Peppers Band era.

The songs here are indeed good. Quirky and good. Even the most straight songs here are quirky.
This makes this album a wonderfully weird album which gives and gives.

There is no true great songs here though and that is my only gripe. I do believe this is an album I will come back to later in my life, again and again.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment