Monday 28 August 2017

Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail (2016)


The second album from this US band.

Thank You Scientist was a seven piece big band with a lineup of saxophone, bass, drums, trumpet, violin, guitars and vocals.

Back in February 2013, I reviewed their 2012 album Maps Of Non Existent Places. My review is here.

That album was quite a lively album with an emphasis of merging several different genres into their music. So I took a mental note of their name and purchased Stranger Heads Prevail when that was released. Due to other commitments, I have only had the chance to listen to and review it this month.

Stranger Heads Prevail continues on from their debut album. That means a heady mix of college rock, vaudeville rock, boyband pop, jazz and eclectic prog.

Yes, it is quite a mix. The album starts out as a boyband album with some boyband vocal harmonies. I was not impressed..... But the album became better after half a minute.  The trumpet and the saxophone is everywhere in the music and makes the songs here quite eclectic. The vocals are probably the star on this seventy minutes long album. The songs are pretty melodic and has many good hooks.

The end result is a good album which should get this band more fans. I am perhaps not among them. But I am again making a mental note and will get their next album.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment