Friday 4 August 2017

Circus - Movin' On (1977)


The second album from this Swiss band.

The band was a quartet on this album with a lineup of guitars, flutes, bass, drums, woodwinds, percussions and vocals.

This is the second of in total three albums from this band. I am not going to bother with their third album, though.

I was not that impressed with their 1976 self-titled debut album. My review is here. But I had heard great things about Movin' On and continued on to this album.

Three quarters of an hour, this album is. The title track takes exactly half of that this album. The final half, that is.

The album starts with a bit of a folk rock. That is a false dawn and not representative for the rest of this album. The album soon shows it't true colours. It soon reveals itself as being a monster.

Take some Van Der Graaf Generator, a big chunk of King Crimson and some Soft Machine. The music is really eclectic with it's mix of dark prog and jazz. The music never really falls into the avant-garde bracket, though. It is eclectic, but not avant-garde.

The end result is a captivating very good album. No great tracks is my only gripe here. But this album really rocks my boat and I like what I hear. Check out this album !!

3.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment