Thursday 24 August 2017

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Jet Lag (1977)


The eight album from this Italian band.

The band was a sextet on this album with a lineup of bass, drums, guitars, organ, moog, keyboards, percussions and English vocals.

I have been reviewing their previous albums, minus the duplicate English albums, on and off since 2010 for # 1 of this blog and ProgArchives. I liked their previous album, the 1975 album Chocolate Kings pretty well. See my review here.

When I am listening to both Chocolate Kings and Jet Lag, I get the feeling that the vocalist here, Bernardo Lanzetti, is taking the band pretty close to the Peter Gabriel era Genesis. In particular on Chocolate Kings. I like his great vocals. But were they right for this PFM ? I am not sure.

I have my big reservations towards the English vocals on PFM albums too. I very much prefer Italian vocals. In particular on PFM albums. The good example is the only Italian vocals song here; Cerco La Lingua.

Jet Lag is not so much a Genesis copy here as a more Jean Luc Ponty influences band. The violin sound is synthetic and generated by keys. But it is here and all over the album.

I do not mind at all. But PFM sailing close to the fusion genre ? It feels strange. This album feels strange and I am wondering if the band is all at sea here.

That said, this is a good album. Which almost feels wrong to write. PFM is not a fusion band.... Oh, yes they are. At least on this album. There is still some Italian prog rock here and some Genesis too. But this is a weird fusion like album.

As I said, this is a good album with some really good stuff. So check it out.

3 points


 

No comments:

Post a Comment