Saturday 3 March 2018

Art of Illusion - Cold War of Solipsism (2018)


The second album from this Polish band.

Art Of Illusion is a quintet on this album with a lineup of guitars, piano, keyboards, bass, drums and vocals.

I have not had the pleasure of listening to their 2014 debut album Round Square Of The Triangle. This band is pretty unknown but their album landed on my desk and I decided to lend it my ears despite of my dislike of the progressive metal genre.

I got the feeling from the artwork that this perhaps was not so much a progressive metal album as I feared and the blurb told me. A tasteful artwork and an asset to the band.

I was right. The music is more in the heavy prog and neo-prog genres than being metal. Well, this is not a progressive metal album at all.

Porcupine Tree is a good reference here. So is the Polish neo-prog genre too. There is also some grunge here with Pearl Jam being a good reference.

The music is melodic but also punchy. The songs are guitar based with the keyboards and the piano playing second fiddle...... sorry, a minor part doing the fills on this album. But most of all, the vocals are very good.

The album is a bit dark and brooding. Unfortunate, there is no real great or even very good songs on this forty-five minutes long album. The quality is not here and the band does not really stand out from the rest of the crowd on this album. But check it out.

2.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment