Friday 29 December 2017

Looking Glass Lantern - Candlelight and Empire (2017)


The third album from this English project.

Looking Glass Lantern is the creative vehicle of Graham Dunnington from England. This professor in music and modern music plays all instruments and does all the vocals here. The instruments sounds like keyboards, drums, bass and guitars to me. Some of them may have been created by computers. I do not know.

Graham Dunnington is a classically trained musician and that shows. Both on his second album, the 2014 album The Hound Of The Baskervilles and on this album. You can read my review of the 2014 album The Hound Of The Baskervilles here.

That album was a concept album about Sherlock Holmes, Watson and this world famous novel and movie. Movies in fact as this novel has seen many screen adoptations. I have one of them on DVD. It is not one of my favourite movies, I have to confess.

Candlelight And Empire is a concept album about the British Empire and the disappearance of that. It was disolved in a matter of a few decades.

This part of our history is a good concept for a seventy-five minutes long album. An album in the symphonic prog genre. Although with a lot of neo-prog influences.

I was impressed by The Hound Of The Baskervilles and I am impressed by Candlelight And Empire. Clean melodies which is given a lot of air to breathe in. The album is pretty pastoral too. There are a few great pieces here too. Most of the stuff is very good throughout though.

This is surely one of the best albums from 2017 although I am not doing any end of the year lists and ratings. But if I had done so, this album would had been on my top five list. Check out this great album.

4 points

No comments:

Post a Comment