Saturday 17 February 2018

Esperanto - Danse Macabre (1974)


The second album from this multi-national band.

Esperanto was a nine-piece big orchestra with a lineup of viola, cello, violin, bass, drums, vibes, harpsischord, piano, organ and lots of vocals.
Two guest musicians added guitars and more vocals.

I was no fan of their pretty abysmal debut album Esperanto Rock Orchestra album from 1973. An album with a great artwork and very cheesy pop music.

The band turned around during the year between those two albums and went down a totally new path. The album starts with a classical music piece and I am mislead to believe that this is a neo-classical album.

Well, I am thankfully wrong. We get some 1960s hippie pop and psych rock after a while. This with a folk rock influence.

The music is pretty complex and eclectic. Make that....... very eclectic. Almost too eclectic.

Although this album should really suit my taste and preferences, I am not convinced. The quality is simply not here and the album sounds a bit half-baked. Hence this decent album rating I am giving it.

2 points

No comments:

Post a Comment