Saturday 2 September 2017

Believe - Yesterday Is A Friend (2008)


The second album from this Polish band.

Believe was a quintet with a lineup of violin, keyboards, guitars, bass, drums and English vocals. Four guest musicians contributes with flutes, xtra guitars, keyboards and spoken words.

I reviewed their 2006 debut album Hope To See Another Day back in November 2010 for ProgArchives. The review is here. I was not too impressed by that album.

Believe does neo-prog. Very gentle neo-prog with no prog metal influences as most of their peers do. There is a violin and a flute here which is used pretty frequent and is a big part of their sound. The violin, that is.

I would label Believe an intellectual neo-prog band. Quite nerdy too. There is a lot of very clever things going on in their sound and music. Maybe they are a bit too clever and has forgotten the whole picture.

The music is very gentle with some very gentle vocals. But the music is not commercially at all. It is nerdy and beautiful at the same time.

Maybe the music is a bit too squaky clean. Nevertheless, this is a good album and I regret that I did not complete my reviews of their albums before now. I am indeed planning to do that this month/you will find my reviews of their other albums somewhere else in this blog.

3 points

 


No comments:

Post a Comment