Wednesday 27 June 2018

Vega - Jara (1979)


The second album from this Spanish band.

Vega was a seven piece big band with a lineup of conga, percussion, flute, bass, piano, organ, saxophone and guitars.

I reviewed their 1978 album Andaluza back in May 2012 and loved that album. I still do. You can read my review here.

Why this band is not more popular and revered than it is, is a mystery to me. The Andaluza album is enough reasons to really revere this band. This band is a hidden secret in the prog rock world and one everyone should check out.

Vega plays a mix of very flamboyant Spanish folk music and jazz. There is also some progressive rock here. The music is instrumental.

At times, the music on Jara reminds me about National Health's first two albums. But with a large Spanish twist and flavour. Other parts also reminds me about the first Mahavishnu Orchestra album. There is also some Al Di Meola references here.

There is a lot of acoustic guitars in this mostly fast, dynamic and driven music. And the music is great throughout this half an hour long album. This is a fantastic band.

4 points




No comments:

Post a Comment