Saturday 11 November 2017

Hammer. Jan - Melodies (1977)


The third album from this US artist.

Jan Hammer on synths, mellotron, piano and congas had help from three other musicians here who provided drums, guitars, violins, bass, saxophone, cello and vocals.

I know Jan Hammer from the TV hitseries Miami Vice. A TV series which symbolise the whole 1980s. It was a too slick and plastic fantastic TV series and the whole TV series makes me shudder. Jan Hammer did the soundtrack. I later discovered that he was a member of Mahavishnu Orchestra and I then insantly forgave him.

I reviewed his 1975 solo opera The First Seven Days one week ago and found that a challenge. See my review here

Melodies is something totally different again. I have not heard his second album and have jumped straight to this album. So I cannot say anything about his development from 1975 to this album in 1977.

Melodies has a lot of funky pop with lots of fusion included too. It is vocals and keyboards driven too. There is lots of bass here too and this is an album full of rhythms. There is also a lot of synths and piano here.

The songs are not particular good and this album falls a bit flat on it's face. It is still a decent album which does not do much for me, I am afraid.

2 points




No comments:

Post a Comment