Thursday 2 November 2017

Discipline - To Shatter All Accord (2011)


The fourth album from this US band.

Discipline was a quartet on this album with a lineup of guitars, saxophone, bass, drums, percussion, violin, keyboards and vocals.

I reviewed their third album Unfolded Like Staircase back in September 2010 and liked that a lot. I called it a good blend of Van Der Graaf Generator and Genesis. You can find my review here.
I have recently reviewed their debut album and you will find this review here.

The link between Discipline and Van Der Graaf Generator is more obvious here than on their debut album or their previous album.

To Shatter All Accord sees the Discipline vocalist Matthew Parmenter really getting into the Peter Hammel groove and getting inspired by his vocals. There is some very striking similarities between their vocals. That though is not a bad thing. Far from it.

The saxophone and the violin also gives VDGG assosiations.

The music is pretty frantic and dark throughout too. There are five songs on this one hour long album and the longest one is twenty-four minutes long. The songs are all symphonic and very intricate. Though without really being great songs. There is a lot of very good and good details here. The title track is a very good track too. The use of mellotron never fails to make me happy. 

I am not really finding this album as great as I have been told it is. It is a good album with a lot of positives. Enough for me to really rate this band.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment