Monday 15 May 2017

Vantasma - Beyond Fallen Dreams (2006)


The one and only album from this Indonesian band.

The band was a sextet with a lineup of percussions, guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and English vocals.

Indonesia is most known for their jazz/fusion scene and many contributions to MoonJune Records band roster. Great fusion/jazz/ethno jazz albums. But neo-prog... ? Well, Vantasma is/was a neo-prog band.

I thought I had already reviewed this album when I was a member of the ProgArchives staff many years ago. But I have not. So I am cracking on........

Where the MoonJune Records albums from Indonesia is full of musical references to Indonesia and the rest of Asia, there is no such references in Vantasma's universe and music. I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. But I am reviewing what I am hearing from the speakers and that's it.

The music here is heavy neo-prog with a lot of prog metal influences. There is also a lot of power metal influences here. The vocals is leaning towards power metal and the numerous German bands in that genre. The music is much more leaning towards prog metal and neo-prog. Though with some pretty heavy power metal references.

The music is heavy.... but also good. This band knew what they were doing and this album is not just a colourful contribution to the neo-prog scene. It is a good neo-prog album in it's own right.

It is a pity that Vantasma seems to be no longer with us. Because they had something going here. Something good.

3 points
  



No comments:

Post a Comment