Saturday 24 August 2019

Novela - Sanctuary (1983)


The fourth album from this Japanese band.

The band was a quintet with a lineup of guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and vocals.

I have reviewed their first three albums and have not been to impressed with them.
I have now run out of Novela albums so this is the last review I do of their albums unless I get their final three albums.

Sanctuary sees the band takes off in a more heavy direction. Heavy prog, some call it. That is a good label.

Some of the music also reminds me a lot about Supertramp. Which is not a bad thing.

Most of the music is pretty bombastic where a fair of operatic male Japanese vocals. That means thin, screaming vocals.

There is also ballads here.

The guitar sound is pretty bad and the rest of the sound is not much better. It is well recorded, but the guitars are more in the bad old heavy metal vein than in the prog rock vein. The keyboards are OK, though.

The music is decent enough. It is not good at all. Some bursts of quality saves this album from the turkey yard. I am not sure if I would recommend this album at all.

Decent, and that is all.

2 points

No comments:

Post a Comment