Monday 20 March 2017

Styx - Equinox (1975)


The fifth album from this US band.

The band was a five piece big band on this album with a lineup of guitars, bass, synths, keyboards, drums, percussions and vocals.

I have yet to be impressed by Styx. But I have been informed that the band was finally "arriving there" on this album. This after four pretty decent and not so good albums.

This is an album where the band were in a transfer between the old blues and naive classic rock dominated Styx to become the Styx that sold millions of records. So I have been told. So says ProgArchives too.  The good old Styx changed vocalist after this album. John Curulewski does his final stint here before leaving the vocals duties to the far more famous Tommy Shaw, the man everyone associate with Styx.

There are still a lot of classic rock on this album. This is a classic rock album. A stadium filler of an album. The blues has largely gone and so has the flirtations with psych rock too. There are still a lot of teenybopper stuff here.

There are also some good songs here. Songs who even I, who are not a great fan of this music, really find charming and good. Lonely Child and Suite Madam Blue is the good songs here.

I am not a big fan of this kind of music. But I admit this is an album with it's merits. Is it a good album ? I find the verse-chorus-verse formula a bit tiring and there is not much good music here. There is not much food for my brain. It is no-nonsense classic rock which appeals to the body and not to the brain. Hence my reservations.

2.5 points




No comments:

Post a Comment