Wednesday 14 July 2021

Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)

The eleventh album from this English band.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of drums, bass, guitars, synths, programming, keyboards, piano and vocals.

The band was supported by a string orchestra and some other guests who provided strings, bass, drums, piano, narration and backing vocals.

I was not a big fan of their previous album Falling Deeper as it was a re-recording of their earlier works. It is not my thing, these re-recordings.

So I was looking forward to give Weather Systems my attention.

The band plays on their strengths on this album.

That means post-rock and post-metal with a lot of ambience and soul. The music is far from pedestrian... There is actually a lot going on here. Proper melodies but not in the traditional songs settings. 

The main theme here is bordering to being great and it is repeated throughout this almost one hour long album. The vocals and the whole instrumentation is very good and so is the average quality of the music.

This is a very good album from Anathema and one I will play over and over again when I get time.

3.5 points

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment