Sunday 5 April 2020

Lucifer's Friend - Where The Groupies Killed The Blues (1972)


The second album from this German band.

The band was a quintet with a lineup of drums, percussion, string & brass-arrangements, guitars, moog, organ, piano, mellotron, bass-fiddle and vocals.

When I approached the albums from this band, I thought I was in for a pretty straight forward hard-rock experience.

Well, the debut album proved me wrong.

The music is hard, yes. But there is a lot more to their music than just hard rock. Something I discovered on their self-titled debut album from 1970. An impressive album, indeed.

The band follows up that album with this album. And we get more of the same.

The basis is hard rock with a lot of references to Uriah Heep. And the music is hard, indeed.

There is also a lot of psych rock in their music.... and blues. There is even quite a considerable amount of soul on this album. The music is also pretty complex with a lot of progginess throughout this album.

The songs are pretty cleverly crafted and the vocals are great. John Lawton, take a bow.

This is indeed another good album from this band. This band has so far surprised me and I am looking forward to reviewing the rest of their album.

3 points


No comments:

Post a Comment