Sunday 21 October 2018

Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean (1972)


The second album from this British band.

The band was a quartet on this album with a lineup of Mellotron, keyboards, bass, drums, guitars and vocals.

I was really impressed by their 1971 debut album Journey To The Centre Of The World. A very good crossover between symphonic prog, psych and hard rock.

So I was happy after the first listening session. A Tab In The Ocean brings more of the same.

Their crossover between symphonic prog, hard rock and psych rock is also very eclectic. Something the seventeen minutes long opening title track proves. This is music which really takes a lot out of the listener..... and gives back a lot more.

Nektar has their own style on their first two albums and I hope it will continue as I am reviewing some of their other albums too.

The title track is very eclectic indeed. Ditto for the three other tracks on this album, although they are more accessible and more commercial. Maybe even more hard rocking too.

The end result is another very good album and an album which really captivates me. A great song or two is missing and that is my only gripe with this album.

3.5 points

1 comment:

  1. This along with Recycled are my favorite Nektar albums. I've known them both for almost 40 years now and they are almost a part of me.

    ReplyDelete