Saturday 27 January 2018

Majestic - Labyrinth (2011)


The fifth album from this US project.

Majestic is Jeff Hamel on guitars and keyboards. He has also composed all the music here.
He has got help from four xtra musicians who provided bass, drums and female vocals.

I was not impressed by his fourth album, the 2010 album Ataraxia. You can read my review here.

I did not have many hopes for Labyrinth in other words. To tell you the truth, I was dreading it. But I went for it, anyway.

Three songs, one hour. The title-track is the longest song, clocking in at just over half an hour. The two other songs are fifteen minutes long, each.

The music is modern symphonic prog with some prog metal and neo-prog influences. I would still call it symphonic prog.

The title track has a proper symphonic song structure. That even with only guitars, keyboards, bass, drums and female vocals. There is a lot of themes here. But this song is by no means chaos and fragmented. It has a theme and a good concept. It is indeed a good song too.

Ditto for the two other songs too. They are well crafted without really being great songs. And this album has also changed my opinion about Jeff Hamel and Majestic. I am looking forward to the next meeting with a Majestic album.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment